I've already had my first run-in with cultural differences. When we boarded the buses to take us from Incheon/Seoul airport to Jeonju for orientation, 8 volunteers were requested to help load luggage on the bus. I hopped up and went to take my place in the luggage-loading assembly line, at which point the Korean coordinator came up to me and told me that I was the first lady ever to volunteer for that job. I'm not sure whether that was a nice way of saying "Ladies can't carry luggage" or "You're bucking the system" or if he was simply making an observation. Either way, it seems I've already overstepped the traditional Korean boundaries for women. That didn't take long.
I am currently at Jeonju University for a week of orientation, where I will presumably learn how to teach Korean kiddies and survive in a country where I am, at least for now, functionally illiterate. I have never been so grateful for the little pictures that accompany the words on signs before. Want to claim your bags at the airport? Follow the little picture of a suitcase. Want to find the stairwell rather than wait on the elevator? Follow the sign with a man running up stairs. If it weren't for these things, I would be unable to complete the most mundane of everyday tasks (or it would take me two to three times as long). Case in point: the a/c unit in our room. It can only be controlled with a remote control, which has no pictures. We just press buttons until it does what we want it to (sort of. It seems to only run for so long before it shuts itself off, leaving me to wake up gasping in a puddle of sweat.) It's a strange feeling, not being able to read. And even if I could read Hangul, I wouldn't know what any of the words meant. I have a lot of studying ahead of me.
Upon arrival, we were handed gift bags with an EPIK towel and an alarm clock, both wrapped neatly in pretty paper; some snacks and water; and 3 books somehow related to Korean education and getting by in Korea, all of which I'm sure we'll have to read. This won't be a lazy man's orientation week.
| This is our room. It's much nicer than I had expected. |
| The Korean bathroom - no shower, just a shower area and drains in the floor. |
| One of the desk/storage areas |
| The view from our window (14th floor) |
Both meals we've had so far have been decent. We're eating in the dorm cafeteria. Kimchi, rice and some sort of tofu soup alongside canned peaches, strangely-colored scrambled eggs and slightly soggy toast. I'm not sure if the eggs and toast are standard or if EPIK is just trying to make us feel more at home. More kimchi, more rice, potatoes, sweet-ish pickles, macaroni salad, bulgogi, more soups and some slightly unusual-tasting yet yummy spaghetti at lunch. And watermelon and peach tea - for the US southerners? It seems they put a variety of vegetables in everything, regardless of what the traditional recipe calls for (see spaghetti, scrambled eggs and macaroni salad). It also seems that no coffee or related drink (tea, coffee "beverages" in a can at convenience stores, etc.) comes with any less sugar than it takes to rot the teeth out of your head on the spot. I skipped the chopsticks at breakfast but tackled them at lunch. Koreans use metal chopsticks, which I find more difficult to manipulate than the wooden kind. But I certainly won't starve, and there are the fork and spoon backups.
I'm off to the opening ceremonies now, map in hand, which is really just a big, complicated picture.
Sure can! When you are on the Google homepage, look up in the very top right corner. There are 3 links. Click the one in the middle. Once on the preferences page, which I couldn't translate for you if I tried, check out the very first drop down box. It's the language box. English should be on there somewhere.
ReplyDeleteRe: food in Korea, I'd starve. I'd be living on canned peaches (and perhaps plain spaghetti noodles).
I'm very excited you're there and I can't wait to hear about more of your experiences. Be careful with the shower so that you don't get your toilet paper wet. Good luck.
ReplyDelete-patrick hawkins
The toilet paper advice is sound.
ReplyDeleteIt's great looking at your pictures of jeonju. We were there only 6 months ago and brings back some nice and not-so-nice-soju moments.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you made it safely! I'm reading your blog as regularly as I can, so keep posting!
ReplyDeleteTo expand on Katie Wright's suggestion for getting English results back from Google, you can bypass the preferences page by going directly to http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en. As a convenience for you, I've set up a URL that redirects you there so you don't have to memorize as much.
The redirect is at http://google.arane.us/.
Just go to it once each time you're on a new computer there; Google will remember your language choice from then on.
Ry, you rock my socks off. Thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteReading this blog made me think of being in Germany (my first foreign language country) and I was taken aback by small things like not being able to read a billboard while walking down the street. I mean, if there are billboards, they've gotta be in English, right? :-P
ReplyDeleteYour dorm looks great! Hope your apartment lives up to its standards! Love you!!!!